Fashion’s gone back to the future. Well, for Autumn/Winter’12 it has, anyway. Sharp shapes, metallic tones and frosty faces (we’re talking makeup, not expressions) were scattered across runways like stars in the Milky Way, and if the aliens wanted to be seated front row, well, who could blame them?
But the futurism trend didn’t take the predictable Nasa-inspired route of astronaut chic. No. Designers, instead, looked to the likes of sexy sci-fi siren Barbarella for inspiration, giving us the end product: a mesmerising, alien-esque beauty with exhibitionist features (bejewelled eyebrows at Chanel, anyone?).
The Fall 2012 futurist wouldn’t be out of place working in a high-rise office building, according to Balenciaga’s corporate/ otherworldly offerings, including sculptural padded sweaters, stiff A-line skirts and the biggest high-end hit this season: the satin sweatshirts with Battlestar Galactica-style logos. At Alexander McQueen, sci-fi visors paired with shaggy fur coats had us at hello, whilst Mary Katrantzou’s emphatic 3-D prints and exaggerated cuts gave us galatica-inspired goose bumps.
How to translate the trend into wearable form, we hear you ask?
Add sci-fi inspired accents to your look, such as a silver metallic collar or belt, or pile on sharp-edged, statement jewellery such as chunky stone bracelets or an ear cuff. Wear a mash up of monochrome with slices of silver, and keep makeup minimal, with just a slick of graphic liner for impact.
Check out our top pieces oozing sexy sci-fi appeal above.
1. Nowhere Peek shoes, £39.95, available at Nelly
2. 3.1 Phillip Lim Metallic Bib Blouse, £310.54, available at shopbop
4. Quilted Triangle Skirt by Boutique, £68, available at Topshop
5. Balenciaga Executive Acrylic Silver Birch Dress, £895, available at Matches
6. Silver Perfecto Jacket, £59.99, available at Mango
7. Mawi Earrings, £225, available at The Corner
8. 3.1 Phillip Lim 31 Minute leather-trimmed PVC clutch, £535, available at Net-A-Porter
9. 3.1 Phillip Lim Esther Oxford Pumps, £343.23, available at shopbop