Much like wondering at Proenza without Schouler, at Felder without, well, Felder and at Dolce without Gabbana, we can’t imagine a better pairing than the ultimate wardrobe essentials: jeans and a t-shirt.
Although this heavenly mix may be your go-to kit for casual dressing, don’t underestimate the power of a statement t-shirt paired with trusty denim. The recent tee-volution (as we like to call it) has seen these afterthought pieces being afforded a new and improved status, thanks to upgrades in the form of sparkly embellishments, luxe fabrics and to-die-for textures and fits.
Gone are the days of bland, silhouette-hugging, v-neck t-shirts, making way for print-emblazoned, sequin soaked and more louche forms. But how to up the glam ante with such elementary pieces, you ask?
We’ve picked five fabulous statement t-shirts above that’ll get hearts racing and heads turning, but not before being paired with the perfect pair of distressed jeans. Go pretty in a silk floral tee from Topshop, or make waves in Markus Lupfer’s embellished number, and inject the fun back into dressing down.
When it comes to denim, distressed jeans work to the best effect, and we’re digging the super slim, relaxed and boyfriend cuts of these Paige Denim, Mango and Warehouse beauties, respectively. Slip into comfy flats and accessorise with a roomy tote for day, or stack up high in a pair of vertiginous sandals and add a clutch for laid-back evening look.
1. Balenciaga Glitter Girl-print t-shirt, £165, available at Matches
2. Embellished print t-shirt, £38, available at River Island
3. Markus Lupfer embellished t-shirt, £185, available at Net-a-Porter
4. Être Cécile zebra stray print staple t-shirt, £75, available at My Wardrobe
5. Silk floral tee by Boutique, £60, available at Topshop
6. Paige Denim Jimmy Jimmy Skinny distressed denim jeans, £255, available at Browns
7. Mango distressed super slim jeans, 334.99, available at House of Fraser
8. Distressed boyfriend skinny jeans, £42, available at Warehouse