Have you been neglecting the daily ab crunch allowance? Did you not know that crop tops are the dome thing this summer? Well, so say the spring/summer 2014 runways. From Jonathan Simkhai to Rodarte and Proenza Schouler to Peter Som; ab-flashing is the key to nailing this season’s most coveted look.
Now, we’re not saying you’ve got to make your crop top induction as painful as a Britney-pop video, but their versatility will win you over. Worn with high-waisted pants, as Cara Delevingne did at the 2014 Met Gala or with a demure, curve-skimming pencil skirt à la Kim Kardashian – the styling possibilities are endless.
Tempted to let your midriff do some showing off? How about we give you five good reasons to say yes, and five of our best crop top picks? Now: on the floor, 100 crunches. GO!
1. It’s easier to wear a yellow top than getting artistic with your eyeshadow, Chanel-style. Let this crop top take you there: Wrap crop top, £22, available at River Island.
2. Being brave with a bold print is the ultimate act of, well, bravery. Go on, Jil Sander knows best: Jil Sander printed cropped sateen top, £440, available at My Theresa.
3. High-end style with a high street price tag? YES PLEASE: Moto denin stripe crop top, £25, available at Topshop.
4. Who said sporty straps and summery raffia couldn’t mix? Not Tibi, for sure: Tibi cropped raffia-effect cotton-blend top, £295, available at Net-a-Porter.
5. Crop tops in the office? This one’s perfect for work, we promise: Cropped lace shirt, £45, available at Warehouse.
[Runway images: Style.com]