Pedicured feet at the ready, it’s time to get your sandal on! Living in Blighty can mean permanent foot hibernation, which usually results in a neglected shoe wardrobe. So it’s only natural that we can’t wait to slip into pretty sandals come summer.
Given that it’s mid-June, and we’re really not in the mood to sport ‘sensible’ shoes with flimsy summer dresses, we’ve decided to search high and low for hot-right-now gladiator sandals every discerning shoe lover needs! The perfect mix between tough and sweet, gladiator sandals are great for the beach or for styling with a summer-inspired look and even your faithful off-duty ensemble will get a stylish hit when you slip into a pair.
But we’re not telling you to go all Ancient Greek god on us, and take the literal meaning of ‘gladiator’ sandal with you when shopping (no, Gerard Butler as King Leonidas in 300 was not our inspiration). Opt for sandals splashed in bright colours and adorned with pretty embellishment if you’re looking to make a stylish statement, or do sandals the grown-up way, by opting for muted tones in suede and washed leather.
Go on. Step out of those unsightly boots and get summer ready with our roundup of seven of the best gladiator sandals!
1. The soft grey leather and ankle cuff detail is making us swoon -the perfect option for an understated and comfortable look. K Jacques Caravelle sandals, £199, available at My Wardrobe.
2. Who said black sandals had to be boring? This Givenchy pair turns the summer sandal on its head. We’re wearing ours with casual tee and mini skirt for city-strolling cool. Givenchy suede gladiator sandals, £439, available at My Theresa.
3.We love the artisanal, weaved detail against the tough buckle-fastening ankle strap. Haider Ackermann leather gladiator sandals, £538, available at Net-a-Porter.
4. We’re wearing this pretty, girl sandal with our floatiest summer dress! A match made in fashion heaven. Nude gladiator sandals, £32, available at Dorothy Perkins.
5. The stud and gem detail make these sandals your summer soiree go-to. Yes, we do party in flats, y’know! Nine West white flat sandals, £105, available at Kurt Geiger.
6. Make a bold statement in this fluoro orange pair. The stud detail will add a dose of ‘don’t care’ attitude to your look. Fearn gladiator spike sandals, £58, available at Topshop.
7. Slip into these stylish androgynous gladiator sandals, and you’ll instantly feel like a Roman empress! Roman flat sandals, £59.99, available at Zara.