It may concern you that at the tail-end of July we want to discuss all things autumnal and chill-blocking, but fellow fashion girls, you know you’ve gotta plan ahead!
With freshly arrived pre-fall wares waiting with your name on them, and being the (sartorially) impatient lot we are, its only fair we round up the ten must-have pieces you can shop right now, to be one step ahead for the new season.
Although we’re in no hurry to wave goodbye to heat wave temperatures, the prospect of wrapping up in cosy knits; wearing smarter-than-your-boyfriend coats and sporting prints we never want to take off is getting us excited. Check out our must-have pieces to kick-start your autumn shopping, and let your credit card do the rest!
1. Hitting two major autumn/winter 2013 trends with one stylish swipe: the mannish coat silhouette, and a luxe, shearling trim, this coat is the must-have investment for the new season. Cédric Charlier grey shearling collar coat, £1,380, available at Avenue 32
2. Biker jackets have more bite for next season, and we can’t get enough of this firebrick-red wool one. Maison Martin Margiela wool biker jacket, £715, available at Matches Fashion
3. When new season punk met the sensible Oxford shoe, this happened: Studded Oxford shoes, £89.99, available at Mango
4. Thanks to Matthew Williamson, Valentino and Mulberry, it’s all bloom, not doom and gloom, as winter florals reign supreme for the colder months ahead. Preen poppy red stretch cotton blaise pencil dress, £687, available at My Wardrobe
5. For the new season, the statement sweater becomes ever more desirable with a smattering of sequins. Markus Lupfer sequin fox jumper, £310, available at Harrods
7. Put a twist on shoe texture and wear velvet on your feet. If Christopher Kane approves for autumn/winter, so do we. Bruno Magli Halki bow-embellished velvet pumps, £310, available at Net-A-Porter
8. Slippery patent surfaces made for great viewing on the autumn/winter runways, and we’re not about to let that slip from our wardrobes (pun intended). Patent leather mini by Boutique, £100, available at Topshop
9. From laundry bag imprints to punk-punctuated plaids, check prints were the biggest story of autumn/winter. Splashed across a cocoon coat, and you’ve nailed two trends right there. Penelope Pop checked coat, £185, available at French Connection
10. Leopard print really has made a lasting impression the past few seasons, and it’s back with even more vigour for fall. A simple shirt is the easiest way to incorporate it into your wardrobe. Animal print soft shirt, £28, available at Next