If upon reading the title you have a slightly worried expression of your face, and visions of a lazy, jogging bottoms and stretched t-shirt clad, potato couch version of the opposite gender in your mind, mentally refresh, please.
We’re not talking comfort menswear; we’re talking style-laced, androgynously beautiful pieces with enough of a feminine spin to warrant being worn without being accused of stealing your boyfriend’s clothes!
The androgynous trend was huge for autumn/winter 2011 and hasn’t really left our fashion closets since! Think crisp white shirts, oversized coats, sharp blazer jackets, ankle-grazing tailored trousers; mannish accessories, including braces, masculine watches, flat loafers and brogues – all worn with a compulsory bright lip and messy, hand-styled hair for a sexy, yet serious look.
Taking style inspiration from the androgynously appropriate character of Julie Andrews in Victor and Victoria (above) (cue: YSL’s Le Smoking inspired black suits; deeply side parted cropped red hair and the most perfect white bow tie), we’ve picked out our favourite masculine-inspired pieces vying for a place in your wardrobe.
Take your pick from our top 10 boyishly beautiful pieces below!
1. Simply silk classic shirt
£77 £39.50, French Connection
3. Maxmara ‘Madison’ trouser, £190, Matches
4. Lightweight tweed boyfriend coat, £75, Topshop
6. Chloé silk necktie, £42, The Outnet
7. Silver Bracelet Watch, £85, French Connection
9. Marc by Marc Jacobs ‘Ellis’ striped cotton shirt, £64.75, The Outnet
10. Maxmara ‘Babele’ brogues, £350, Matches